ionetics

Unreliable and possibly off-topic

|

Tuesday, June 02, 2009

Jobbies

The offer and the contract came through this week, and suddenly now there's a need for retroactive references and Security Disclosures and Occupational Health forms to be completed.

I wish they'd asked these sooner, but if retrospective maybe these'll have less precedence if the wee boss decides to big himself up by putting me down, or I happen to have a soon-to-be-expired minor conviction, or an ancient history of mental meltdown. At my age few people won't have some of this history if they're honest, or of the capability, intelligence but stupidity to have been pushed past normal limits. Badges of honour.

Specifically, I've always taken responsibility for the stupid choices I've made and chosen not to abrogate responsibility when I've fouled up. I coulda said 'bad boys made me do it', but never taken that option when I'm smart enough to know when I've been dumb. Cop-outs are for thickies, but the smart kids remember and learn from their mistakes. I'm not smart yet, but I do try to get smarter. I hope I'll be smart by the time I retire.