ionetics

Unreliable and possibly off-topic

|

Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Indiscretions

This blog isnae Facebook, so will the old or new bosses find me here? I dunno! If they can, there's not too much here I'm ashamed of, since I reserve slagging forums for politicians.

What a interesting day I had today.

I requested my resignation be sent upstairs before today, when psycho Big Boss held his clinic here, so I could get over the inevitable fall-out and the organisation could be appraised. I've nothing to feel guilty about- done nothing but work my arse off for the last year for a pitiful salary.

So he strides in this morning and states (as if this is news), "It's a free country- anyone can leave". Stating the obvious- this is not an earned privilege by indentured slaves, but enshrined in Human Rights legislation. It's not a sign of his generosity.

Then, as anticipated, he starts with the headfuck and tells me my new bosses have 'internal turmoil' and that 'they work their staff really hard'. What- more hard than working all last weekend, and being on-call 24/7 for 2 years? At least the new bosses will pay me 7k more even for the same conditions.

He invites me to speak to former colleagues, with whom I'm not in touch, to corroborate his views. At least one of these is a fucking nut whose advice I wouldn't take as a gift. I don't know if she was nuts before he turned her so, or only after.

Then he starts turning through the textbooks on the bookshelves, requiring me to say which are his and which mine. Where's this one, or that? Um, they're mostly institution possessions, and they're all there. Is he accusing me of stealing?

He exits. Storms back into the room an hour later asking the whereabouts of a particular artwork. His description doesn't ring any bells in my mind, nor my colleague's, so he has to accept it hasn't been around since before my employment.

Then I pick up an email sent to the wee boss from Big Boss last week- a report from a 'patient' who underwent a day and a night of studies in late April. The footer on her detailed report states 'commissioned by [Big Boss]'.

This 'patient' curiously arrived hours early, had unusual requests for individual requirements, and had unusually normal outcomes from her studies. Her report mentioned that she'd also underwent studies at a sister centre, and a competitor centre. How very curious!

So Big Boss who can't pay a living wage can afford to send a Management Consultant as a pseudo-patients to test his staff and facilities.

So here's a representative extract from the report:
"I believe in giving credit where credit is due. The staff were fantastic (her bold italics)....This is so rare in the medical profession- even in private practice- it was a breath of fresh air. There was professionalism amongst the staff which would inspire confidence in any patient."

She then includes 2 pages of comments about the cheapo, decaying shower facilities and IKEA furniture in the bedrooms. These I and my colleagues have kvetched about for 2 years, but which Big Boss has been too cheap to redress.

Tonight I emailed to colleagues my official resignation (just regrets at losing their camaraderie and positive wishes to them, collectively and individually), then found that my work email is a blocked address to my London colleagues!

Hell mend him.