ionetics

Unreliable and possibly off-topic

|

Tuesday, October 07, 2008

Asking for Axe Murder

Hi [ion]

I'm happy to discuss your suggestions for reducing noise between our 2 flats and think that another meeting between us might be the best way forward.

Perhaps we could arrange to meet one evening next week but before doing so I would like to take a moment just to get things in their proper perspective and clarify my position which seems to have been misinterpreted somewhat.

My one objective through all of this has been simply this: to try to ensure that when I go to bed, I can sleep without being woken up in the middle of the night.
Everyday noise has never been the issue and while any efforts you've made to reduce this are appreciated, as far as I recall, I have never asked or expected that you or your children modify your behaviour or restrict your lifestyle in any way during the day or evening. While I do hear some noise at these times I have always viewed this as an unavoidable part of tenement life and not something I would complain about. The only complaints or requests I have made have related to noise occurring directly above my bedroom late at night i.e. after midnight, that has woken me up or kept me awake, leaving me seriously struggling to do my job the next day. I think anyone in that situation would try to do something to improve it. If you felt that I was attempting to get you or your children to be completely quiet at all times then you have misunderstood my objective and I hope this has helped to make it clear.

As I said, I'm happy to discuss your suggestions for getting us closer to the stage where we can both get on with our lives without bothering each other. I am pretty busy for the rest of this week and will be away at the weekend so perhaps next Wednesday or Thursday would suit? You are welcome to come down here for a coffee or, if you prefer, I can come up to you. You can let me know when and where would suit you best.

Regards,
[Downstairs Neighbour]

----------------------------

Hi [Downstairs Neighbour],

Apologies for my lack of response- been busy with one thing and another and did not intend either rudeness or disrespect by this.

Clearly, we need to solve this problem, so please let me know your availability next week for the chat you request.

As an heuristic agenda I have a few possible solutions in mind, involving either moving my PC to another room, or insulating your ceiling and/or my floor. Adoption of your bedtime by us is not realistic and will only cause further failure and stress to us both. My solutions would instead involve some limited expense, but I hope (like me) you may decide these will be worthwhile in the long run.

Regards,
[ion]
--------------------------

I'm reading this back now and thinking; Downstairs Neighbour is sooo lucky I haven't deliberately stayed up late playing techno (which I need class As to enjoy) purely to make his life a misery. Mind you, he manages that quite well by himself...