ionetics

Unreliable and possibly off-topic

|

Friday, September 19, 2008

Enhanced Disclosure IX

Here's the latest in my fact-finding mission to use my personal case to explore Police Forces' use and abuse of the UK criminal records database.

Background:
Like many people of my generation, I have a trivial 24 year-old drug possession conviction, which according to changing guidelines should have disappeared in 1994, 2004 or, according to the authorities' latest interpretation...2063. However, the Information Tribunal (ombudspeople on Freedom of Information and Data Protection) have recently ruled that Chief Officers of local Police Forces are in breach of UK law, human rights and the ITs previous rulings by continuing to disclose spent convictions such as mine.

Update:
I received an email from an entirely new correspondent, of "FED Disclosure Scotland" (whatever that is) on the 12th. She writes:

Dear [ion],

I have had a look at your case, and referred it to the Disclosure Manager, Brian [XXX] for his attention. You will receive a letter of reply shortly from him.

If I can be of any assistance in the meantime, please feel free to contact me.

Regards,
[FED Team Leader, Disclosure Scotland]

Brian is Head of Disclosure, second in command to the CEO of Disclosure Scotland, so I'm hoping to hear soon his response to the questions I posed in my last email. Meantime, does this latest mean the FEDs are after me? (That's a joke, by the way)