ionetics

Unreliable and possibly off-topic

|

Monday, November 27, 2006

Favourite things

Favourite listening on R4 this week included the serialisation of the letters of 'Decca' (Jessica Mitford) and yesterday's interview with Patti Smith on Marr's Start the Week.

If you haven't read Decca's autobiographical account of her childhood, Hons and Rebels, try it out for a screamingly funny account of an aristocratic upbringing. Have fond memories of taking turns reading this book out loud around the fireplace during a stay in a cold, damp and TV-less Scottish cottage. Mum and stepdad were acquaintances of Jessica during the late 60s, when all three were involved in trade union activities in the Bay Area. I bought Decca for my dad's birthday this month, and am looking forward to my turn at reading it later.

On the obscenely large larvae colonising the area around the cat bowl; it's apparently quite normal for larvae to be larger than their adult antecedents. Supersized larvae mean more digestable energy for metamorphosis into the breeding form. I like insects as much or more than the next guy, but it's hard to be anthropomorphic when as with the babies Rosemary's Baby the young are bigger than their shiny black parents.

Lately, the wee wan and her best friend have been pulled out of classes for special sessions with the assistant head. I now understand that they've been inducted into a program called 'Fast-track' for pupils more able in maths and logic. It took me till I was in my twenties to embrace statistics, so am delighted wee wan and her musical best friend might get an early leg up. On that note, please acknowledge the incredible offensiveness of Sky TV's Brainiacs, amply decorated with 'girlies' who are never scientists themselves. This series is making me puke.

I leave you with green wellies, with one pair wearing the Simone specs.