ionetics

Unreliable and possibly off-topic

|

Sunday, November 26, 2006

Weekend

A lovely weekend. Don't remember the end of Friday after the interview, but H. and I sunk a few glasses of wine, and sometime later I underwent an in-depth interview debriefing and analysis session by phone with R. Hope she enjoyed it- retrograde amnesia means it's a mystery to me. A quick wash and scrub-up had me uptown in the morning, picking up and accommodating to the new Simone specs. Snatched reflections in a mirror or shop window leave me wondering who the stranger is. I was so de Beauvoir that I bought four soft cheeses for a fiver at the open-air French market. The poivre went in one session since I like spicy, but the others are still stinking out my fridge. How is it that something smelling and looking like a bad nappy from a breastfed baby can taste like nectar?

Saturday also included a visit to H.'s stall at a church fair, where she took £65 for her handmade pottery, cards, jam and chutney. Some of it was our red cabbage and peach chutney, laid down in October. Later enjoyed a lunch of mussels with R. and recently-wedded Alex, and yet later a cup of ginger tea with the big wan, who was conveniently traced by that latter-day evil, the mobile phone, to the Forest Cafe just as I was passing.

Sunday had the luxury of an evening of my favourite TV- Antiques Roadshow , archaeology and natural history programmes. Wild Thing involved a tree mallow clearing exercise on Craigleith, an island in the Firth of Forth, in order to promote access by puffins to their breeding burrows. Later it was Attenborough's Blue Planet versus his Planet Earth on channel-flipping, which is as close to TV heaven as I can imagine.

But Mondays are always a drag, and today I learned I was unsuccessful in my job interview. This is not the worst of outcomes, for I had an interview. Have also a standing engagement with an H. of my acquaintance and her dug Reekie for a Braidburn walk tomorrow, in green wellies.