ionetics

Unreliable and possibly off-topic

|

Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Engerland II

Engerland proved to be most hospitable but more violent than locally, with a screaming row outside the pub opposite at 2 or 3 am. While my Embra flat is over one pub and opposite another, I don't get this bother; just the roar that follows a goal for Scotland or against Engerland. It helps me keep track of the score while I'm multi-tasking on something else.

In 'Ackney, I watched reality while smoking a morning roll-up and sipping a cup of tea on D.'s backyard step. At 10 am a blonde woman threw open her door on the 3rd floor of the council block opposite, brandished a kitchen knife and beat the railing with it while screaming, "I'll kill 'er, I'll kill the facking bitch!". Her friend calmed her and ushered her indoors. Just afterwards an elderly lady on the floor above hobbled outside to pick up her free newspaper, looking around suspiciously.

Here's D. with Aaron.
This little lad is quite the best-tempered, most attentive and responsive babby ever. I got holds and cheesy grins from him. I've never seen D. and her partner so happy, relaxed and involved- coming to parenthood late (at 41 and 37 yrs respectively) has advantages. The health visitor advises delaying introduction of solids till 6 months, but I doubt they'll be able to hold off. Over dinner, 4.5 month Aaron was bouncing in his chair and salivating profusely while watching us eat, making unmistakeable chewing motions and trying to grab for his Dad's fork.