ionetics

Unreliable and possibly off-topic

|

Sunday, November 05, 2006

Civil union

Today, R., H. (Girl on a Motorcycle) and I (amongst a full house) had the privilege to witness Alex and David's civil union. They've been together for 21 years, and to only have the opportunity to solemnise their relationship now is ridiculous. Their relationship has already outlasted most straight marriages (inc. my own) by several multipliers.

Am a total sucker for weddings, like births. The hope and goodwill is an overwhelming feature, and I was crying buckets as soon as they played Pachabel for the entrance. That was also chosen for my Dad's marriage to my wonderful step-mum, and the progressive chords are profoundly emotional. Alex and David wrote their own vows, which were moving, personal, supportive and enduring. Both men looked splendid in their kilts and winter-flower corsages, and took their vows with appropriate emotion and dignity.

I will never marry again, but that doesn't diminish the meaningfulness of Alex and David's ceremony. They threw us a wonderful warm reception at their house, and I hope they enjoyed it at least as much as their guests.

To Alex and David!