ionetics

Unreliable and possibly off-topic

|

Sunday, October 29, 2006

Spectacles

Not the situationist internationale but the everyday kind. I've been offered the unbelievable bargain of £437 for varifocals in a fetching hand-made, olive-coloured actetate frame of cat's-eye shape, with top refractive-index glass lenses. Six months interest-free credit! Not only do I exhibit myopia, presbyopia as well as a paralysis in lateral gaze and corneal scarring, but also anti-cosmetic prismatic prescriptions to my lenses. No wonder the boss is saying hello and thank-you as I leave. Hopefully R. will help me decide between these frames and the de Beauvoir brown tortoiseshell number, set aside for me. Both acetate frames as advised, in contrast to the usual gold-metal rims, will help accommodate and disguise the prisms according to the helpful and professional dispensing optician, Holly.