ionetics

Unreliable and possibly off-topic

|

Thursday, November 01, 2007

The wee wan uses the term ‘random’ as a form of compliment for anything left-field. After two cans of wifebeater ( Hotboy) for breakfast I’m heading in that direction, but it is my day off work. Like HB I’m now nearly teetotal, except more so than he.

Now it’s my day off I can concentrate better on my Dad’s illness, but it’s not good. He’s at home, but the management of his multiple problems are so bad as to make me weep. They discharged him home immediately after an inhuman 5 min ‘chat’ in a public place informing him he also has a lung tumour and pulmonary emboli (PEs), with no contacts for questions, no management plan or info on treatment or prognosis, to stew this over the weekend. Not surprisingly, he’s imagined and responded to the worst.

He had an diabetic hypo last night, because no one has talked to him properly about the fact he might need tapering insulin doses now he’s no longer on on dexamethasone. The letter from the neurosurgeons concerning his enoxaparin injections for his PEs has gone astray, so no one knows how long these are to be kept up for. This is just the short term stuff- never mind the radio- or chemotherapy plans which are anyone’s guess. When I have time to think about, anger, disgust and despair well up, that this is ‘optimal’ care provided at a teaching hospital in a first-world setting. Meanwhile, there’s no answer when I try to call the oncology nurse, but she’s probably rushed off her feet.

Meanwhile, my other Dad has sent me his Big Lebowski pic, posing in his shorts, Crocs and dressing gown with a White Russian. Those who’ve met me may see the family resemblance. I hope he doesn’t mind me posting it here. I found this life-affirming- thanks Dad! For my regulars, it’s probably relevant to know I have two Dads, both wonderful, whom I love very much.

I shall have a nice nap later, read some more of my current book “The Family that Couldn’t Sleep” (on prion diseases) and listen to more of my new PJ Harvey and Devendra Banhart (reminiscent of early Marc Bolan/ Steve Took as well as the Doors) CDs, as well as the more muscular “Songs for Drella” by Cale and Reed.