ionetics

Unreliable and possibly off-topic

|

Sunday, October 07, 2007

Marches and marches

Just call me Ms. Crabbit today. I've been working too hard to properly watch the mainstream media, but it recently came to my attention that the Stop the War Coalition march planned for tomorrow has been banned by the Metropolitan Police, who say that any protest taking place within a mile of Parliament is illegal. I don't know if this based on the ridiculous Brian Haw case and our increasingly swingeing Prevention of Terrorism Acts, but Liberty has declared the police ruling illegal.

Meanwhile another march took place yesterday right outside Parliament- that by supporters of the Burmese freedom cause. Here's the photographic evidence. I entirely support the right of peaceful protest in the interest of democracy and freedom of speech undertaken by these protesters against repression in Myanmar/Burma.

I simply wish the same right to be extended to other protesters also battling against war and repression. This double standard, to the point which the Buddhist march leaders were invited into Downing St for photo-ops with El Gordo, is sticking in my craw.