ionetics

Unreliable and possibly off-topic

|

Wednesday, September 05, 2007

Timing

The same day that delivery was received of a new landline phone (cost £32.33) after That Party's phone theft, my mobile went on the blink and expired. Is that sod's law or what? On the other hand, what expert timing that both were not excommunicated at the same time. Is that lucky or what? Truly, I am blessed.

I have two three books to recommend-
'Pompeii- the Living City'. (A. Butterworth and R. Laurence)
'The Oxford History of Greece and the Hellenistic World'. (J. Boardman, J. Griffin, O. Murat, eds)
and
'Courtesans and Fishcakes; the Consuming Passions of Classical Athens'. (J. Davidson)
Each of these have breathed life into ancient cultures that are similar but so different from the one I inhabit, and made me glad to have been born female now and not then.

Off to slug-watch again now for 12-13 hrs. You will find me in my dressing gown watching Jeremy Kyle and dozing on the sofa tomorrow, but hopefully not drinking White Russians.