ionetics

Unreliable and possibly off-topic

|

Friday, September 21, 2007

TWTWTW

This week I've been very, very good and very, very bad. I was good when I went in to work voluntarily out of hours to help a colleague and also good at the conference today. Going to the conference was a big deal, because it's the first time I've attended in the new post. I had some fear and trepidation that moving from public into private work would make me persona non grata, but on the contrary I was warmly welcomed, given a glowing introduction and asked to help chair the session! A feather in my cap!

I was very, very bad when I stayed up far too late on Wednesday night, boozing and playing with my new mobile. Never even woke up till 2 pm the next day and totally missed the day's work. I didn't have any appointments that day and have a week of extra hours worked up, so I thought this was not so very bad, but the boss thought differently as I learned this morning. He was hinting he wanted an explanation, but none was forthcoming. I could've lied and said I was sick but chose to leave it unexplained, saying that I'd take it as hours back. Boss wants me to text in the morning if I'm not coming in, but it's hard to do that when you're asleep. I expect normal people use alarm clocks for such eventualities. I have never failed to show for a booked appointment, but have put myself out to work long hours at no notice. On the near horizon are plans to have us working weekends too so I don't think my flexibility can be doubted. Luckily the new mobile has an alarm clock, as well as hot-shit camera+flash, video, MP3 player, email and radio. It will take me at least a year at my advanced age to learn to use all these marvellous facilities.

This week saw another birthday- for the wee wan, now big 11. She was at her dad's that night, so instead we all got up an hour early in the morning for presents and non-nutritionally balanced sweeties for breakfast. She seemed quite pleased with the knickknacks she received, and if she's happy so am I. She's a very good girl, and I wish I could freeze her now forever before puberty and all that nonsense hits. The big wan of course remains the apple of my eye too, but there are some issues arising out of recent drinking and economy with the truth as he exercises his growing independence. As suspected, on close questioning I discover a recent reported 'accidentally' smashed bottle of wine from my fridge was only in actuality smashed after it had been necked. And this from an individual who was off school 'sick'. At least he can't fall pregnant... Anyone with personal experience of raising a socially experimental 15 yr old- good advice much appreciated.

His dad is in charge next week, as I'm off for conferencing and friend-visiting in Engerland. Having been on the wrong side of his dad's disapproval on similar grounds before, I wish the big wan luck.