ionetics

Unreliable and possibly off-topic

|

Monday, October 29, 2007

The Gift


Where did that week go? Like a flash. Then again the years do the same disappearing act, as my birthday this weekend proved. What- another one? Celebrating it with friends softened the blow- a wonderful Chinese banquet with champagne and some great presents. I'm now the proud owner of a beautifully balanced Global knife, a fine soup-pot and a huge illustrated book of gardens of the world.

These I will enjoy, but the best present was from the Boys, Alex and David. David, who happens to be a Conservative, presented me with a letter confirming my gift of a year's membership of the Scottish Conservatives, with thanks for joining, help us support the capitalist economy, hang the lefties, up the Empire, British and family values. I am extremely fond of David, and moreover well brought-up, so was trying to muster gracious thanks while my brain was screaming- oh fuck, now I'm on a register, they'll be inviting me to wine and cheese parties all the time and every ounce of my principles are shot. Then I started to see Alex snigger out of the corner of my eye and realised that once again I had been a victim of another hoax by these seasoned practical jokers. They do it all the time and yet I still fall for it! At least I'm not jaded, but I'm clearly not the sharpest knife in the drawer. Thanks, A & D, for my best laugh this month.