ionetics

Unreliable and possibly off-topic

|

Saturday, January 06, 2007

Lucky Kitty

The international Pacific Rim contest to get new Lucky Kitty to the wee wan is underway. On the Californian coast two charms have allegedly been sent by post, but from the Australasian border the personally couriered amulet might still win the race! Wee wan is a distinctly lucky girl. We also received an Xmas parcel from California yesterday, with something for everyone. Big Wan has a T-shirt for a 'straight-edge'* band called Minor Threat, I some very attractive nichromatic blue glass jewellery, wee wan a quickly-adopted stuffed toy beaver (dubbed, originally, 'Beavie'), a book for us all and Her Catness the box in which all this was delivered. Why are cats so fatally smitten by packaging?

Yesterday we tried for the 5-a-day fruit and veg all in one meal, since I'd bribed big wan to accompany me on messages (errands) with the prospect of a bacon roll and mug of tea in a greasy spoon caff. He's so cheaply bought. Dinner was baked tatties and cheese with a tabbouleh salad on the side, followed by pomegranates and coconut. I have made it a habit to ask the Chinese grocers over the road for flat-leaf parsley on most visits over the past year, so when fresh bunches are spotted outside I am duty bound to buy one. Totally superior to curly-leaf, IMHO, which has almost the same texture fresh or dried.

The bio-book order came in a few days ago, and I read 'Marley and Me' first. It's not really a bio-book at all, but a humourous and sentimental account of life with a bad dog. It's a light and amusing read, but a five hanky job. I suspect anyone who has loved and lost a dog will be crying buckets by the end. I have to admit my eyes are still slightly swollen this morning, but it was worth it.

* Straight-edge- a hip movement eschewing alcohol, drugs and casual sex

Addendum
Ugly Betty (TV program) started last night, and it has been noted that my new specs are remarkable similar to the eponymous protagonist's. I suspect that I will be the object of some teasing over the next wee while.