ionetics

Unreliable and possibly off-topic

|

Friday, August 25, 2006

Alba Flamenca


R., who treated to me to this Fringe show tonight, tells me that 'Alba flamenca' means 'Flamencan Soul', whereas I (a non-Spanish speaker) had the 'alba' as 'white'. My lack of Spanish didn't prevent me falling in love temporarily with the singer, David Palomar. Is that name something to do with doves? I dunno, and language isn't necessary when you can sing like that, and wear such a worn-in face. R. has tried and failed to teach me the syncopated back-beat rhythms of flamenco, but I still loved it; also the dancers, the older of whom is R's flamenco teacher at Dancebase. According to R. she's a pied noir (French-Algerian), and quite magnificent in her frilled, lined dresses, which emphasise her spare but womanly form.