ionetics

Unreliable and possibly off-topic

|

Monday, August 21, 2006

Fringe benefits


R. treated me, the kiddos and two other friends to see a dance performance yesterday- 'Ketzal' from the Derevo company of Leningrad. As when R. and I saw them 2 years ago, the production used sparse costumes, props and sets, spacey minimalist music. The troupe, both male and female, dance in loincloths with shaved heads, paring everything back to the bone. With just seven (I think) dancers, they made quite beautiful shapes and structures with their bodies, invoking shamanic imagery. In the finale, the stage is flooded with water to make a rainforest in which the Qetzal bird, his fellow-gods and humans enact their struggles.

As in 2004, it would pointless to superimpose a narrative, except that the animism of Mayan and Aztec culture were strong themes. I thought it was fantastic, but was alone in my opinion. Poor R. is suffering with 'flu and wouldn't really have been able to enjoy anything, the big wan was embarrassed by my teasing about the dancers' bare breasts, and can't see the point if there isn't comedy or zombies involved. The others were just mystified, although I think the wee wan (who's a dancer) appreciated the movement aspects.