ionetics

Unreliable and possibly off-topic

|

Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Stupid things said to your kids

Nini was dawdling (as usual) while getting ready for school this morning, and I found myself shouting, "For Christ's sake, get your nose out of that fucking book and get moving!".

Swearing and blasphemy are common enough in the household, but I never thought I'd be criticising my kid for reading. Had to laugh, as it reminded me of one of the Linda Smith obituary anecdotes from last week-

Mark Steel Comedian-

She was so good at relating anecdotes about other people. There was one that every time I think about the way she said it, it makes me cry. She said she was at a cafe, and there were two young mums sitting at the next table. They both had kids, young children in pushchairs. One of them was talking to the other, but she stopped and looked at her child, who was slouching, and said: "Oi, sit up, you cunt." And then just carried on.