ionetics

Unreliable and possibly off-topic

|

Thursday, February 09, 2006

Film communiqué


R and I saw Hidden (Caché) last night, and we both hated it. In my case, the ennui at this self-indulgent Austrian-French film extended so far that I fell asleep in the middle. This is not usual, as films in languages of which I have a smattering are normally enlivened by a vague comprehension. Everyone else loves it, apparently (see reviews), but I was bored by both the form and the content. So you're alienated and you've got guilt- what's new, and who hasn't? Pick your flavour. Plus, the seats were bloody uncomfortable and crowded, leading to economy-class syndrome. 'Match Point' from Woody Allen addressed similar themes of social alienation in the urban tragedy, but in my opinion more ably, colourfully and dramatically (Scarlett Johansson helped). For me, a much better cinematic experience all round.

I think I said before that 'Brokeback Mountain' was pretty as Ang Lee does so well, but pretty facile and fashionable and in a predictable romantic/tragic vein. It was vanilla, sweet enough to squeeze some tears from both me and R, but only through blunt and simple emotive manipulation. Agreeable, but where's the spice? Call me shallow, but 'Memoirs of a Geisha' has been the film I've most enjoyed over the last few months. Beautiful eye-candy.

Upcoming is the family trip to Walk the Line. R and I both want to see Grizzly Man. But the film I'm most fancying is 'Lady Vengeance', by the bloke who did 'OldBoy'. Now that was urban tragedy.