ionetics

Unreliable and possibly off-topic

|

Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Slugwatch


Here's a bad photo of one of my overnight subjects, a Limax flavus. I am feeling quite sorry for my nocturnal companions, as the back step was recently power-blasted to remove the slippery moss and algae (their main food source) since these were becoming a health and safety hazard.

Worked overnight with a new colleague last week, who does not share my pleasure in invertebrates. When a couple of moths and a cranefly came inside to entertain with their suicidal attraction to light fittings, she flapped her hands in phobia. It's a moth, for Chrissake, not a bloodsucking bedbug! I fear that had she ventured outside, the slitherers and creepy crawlies would've sent her into decompensation. And she grew up on a farm!