ionetics

Unreliable and possibly off-topic

|

Friday, June 29, 2007

Jobbie again

Where are we at today? We're good we think, waiting for the kiddos to come home from Friday afternoons at Granny's. At the end of the week I've clocked up 36 hrs on the part-time jobbie (180%). And those are all working hours, at all times of the day and night, and we don't take lunchbreaks. This is the private sector.

I had started work late today due to an early GP appt, registered in advance in the diary and not included in my working hours. Also had the temerity to ask for Monday off on accrued time-in-lieu to sort out my dole problems in person. This results in urgent calls and txts from the boss to ask where I am this morning! It will have to be explained soon that flexibility on working hours has to go two ways. For instance, we get nothing extra for unsocial overnight hours, and can be asked to work unexpectedly with just a few hours notice. I'm a reliable and involved worker, but not a mug. And despite my poor experiences of the AUT, I will be joining Amicus trade union soon.

Currently the bosses are asking for us to work weekends too on a particular slug experiment. There have been nebulous promises of a bonus for such extreme flexibility, but nothing in writing. I may be new and still on probation, but some issues need addressing on a reasonable and adult basis, and in writing. The experiment won't be do-able without my co-operation and input, and if they can call me in for an overnight at 2 hrs notice, I can cancel non-urgent and supra-contractual working hours with the same notice!

We have a new Pry Minster today. I should be writing about this and his prospects, but am more concerned and involved with the Big Wan's school trip to Stratford this week and the wee wan's stunning report card. That and the small sebaceous cyst on my chin, which I took to the GP this morning. This can't be treated on the NHS because the problem is 'cosmetic' and not life-threatening, even though I don't like it. I was invited to collaborate in a referral to a private dermatologist, which I refused given my salary. Told the GP I'd just have a go at it myself with a scalpel, and I'm serious about that.

Just for fun, a friend's slugwatch picture. What a specimen!