ionetics

Unreliable and possibly off-topic

|

Saturday, July 14, 2007

DIY

It's DIY week here, and I'm travelling with a tape measure permanently in my pocket. The Big Wan galumphed his way to breaking the bathroom light today, by the extraordinary tactic of grabbing the light bulb to stop himself falling. Good one, Big Wan! Not only have I had to find a new light fitting but also a hefty torch to light the windowless bathroom. I've never rewired a light fitting before, but it's the better option over asking Peter Ballocks' help.

I'm also planning to commission trade work on the shower-room and toilet, currently housed in two small side-by-side cupboards off the hall. I want to knock these two together into an L-shaped room that can accommodate a small, deep Japanese bath with a shower, sliding screen and a step up in the space currently occupied by the shower, as well as a toilet and decent-sized handbasin. I can't knock walls down or plumb in the piping myself but I've sourced the sanitary ware (as they call it) and planned the layout.

A lovely day today with both kiddos and R. in the Botanics, daundering and taking photies of flowers and bumblebees. The showery weather deterred the bulk of visitors, so we had the summer border almost to ourselves. At the cafe I came across an old acquaintance who ten years ago was one of the Big Wan's adult girlfriends. Now Big Wan towers over her and she has a toddler and a 6-week babby - such a change! I'm very happy for her, and nostalgic for the mutual friends I've lost touch with.