ionetics

Unreliable and possibly off-topic

|

Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Bad books

Oh dear. I am in several bad books at the moment. Firefox prevented me attaching docs to emails and has now seized up entirely since I updated McAfee. This message comes to you from IE and Bill Gates, unfortunately, but I will seek expert advice in due time to correct this.

Also in the bad books with my conscience, since the glass bottles are piling up in the recycling box indoors. H-who-is-very-good-to-me used to drive my clanking glass to the skip bank at a local supermarket for recycling on her way home, but she's returned to the chalkface now and I'm on my own. Neither jars nor other packaging are an issue, as I save the former for chutney/jam adventures and the latter go in nearby recycling points provided by the Cooncil. But those glass bottles... I can't bear to put them in the bin.

Like smoking in a pub, this now feels pure ASBO. It very quickly seemed bizarre and sightly repellent to see Coronation St actors smoking in the Rovers' Return on telly following the Scottish ban last year. Same for putting glass in a regular rubbish bin.

If your browser is operational, it is possible to access interactive info on local recycling points via the Cooncil website. The posh houses down the street have door-to-door collection, but for local tenement scum bottle banks are thin on the ground. The website helpfully informs me that:
'There are no facilities in your area'
I feel an email coming on, and meanwhile the glass mountain will increase.

At the Cooncil recycling website they supply 'tips of the day' when you log on. Today's suggestions were to drink draught beer instead of buying bottled, and (astoundingly) to order pints instead of halfs to save on washing up. It seemed a little 'Viz'.

Lastly, for today at least, there's bad books from the kiddos' Dad. The Big Wan's Xmas present was to have a 3-day trip to London to visit his Auntie Neez and 'cousin' Babby Aaron, who will be picking him up from Kings X this afternoon. He will not be taking on London Transport single-handed as a teuchter and has been specifically warned against cottaging dangers at Kings X toilets. Their Dad was emanating non-verbal signals last night, though he'd agreed to the trip in December. To his credit he said nothing, but after a 20 year relationship body language and facial expression are transparent. Although there's no doubt I will be blamed if anything goes amiss on this visit, my suspicion is that once Big Wan is home in Hackney, safe and well, his Dad may be able to rein in his free-floating anxiety and pull his horns in. Big Wan was looking forward to the trip and will very likely have a great time, gain a sketchy grounding in skills for navigating and some valuable life experience too.

Tube map courtesy www.andybiggs.net