ionetics

Unreliable and possibly off-topic

|

Saturday, September 23, 2006

Botanics

What a lovely day, partly because of global warming and unseasonable sun. I received a warning about what it really feels like to be old from the bruising and scratches after yesterday's Braidburn injuries, but took myself out despite the pain to meet R. and our artist friend C. at the Botanics. Once mobilised I enjoy the outing, especially because of C's preternaturally articulate and social 4 yr old son, going on 20 thanks to an involved, interested and interactive mother. How many 4 yr olds do you know who would offer to share tastes of chocolate ice cream with adults? Very few.

As always, my favourite plant is the giant Gunnera by the duckpond, where you can play Land of the Giants, nipping under the enormous leaves and checking out the gigantic flowering spikes. They have a whole field/maze of these at Traquair house in Innerleithen, but it's expensive to get access there.

C. has been an artist-in-residence at a Fife town this summer. She's been approaching local myspace users as collaborators, most of whom have been wary of exposure. Not so me. She, R. and my mum have already bared our bums for previous projects, and I see no reason to stop now.

Photo from http://www.helsinki.fi/~jhyvonen/PB/D/Gunnera%20chilensis+SS-pp.JPG