ionetics

Unreliable and possibly off-topic

|

Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Acheivements and yet-to-be acheived

This week I'm looking for back-pats, as I become a jobseeker. I've had to apply myself to the most distasteful tasks, and yet completed at least half those needing done. Hooray!

Acheivements:
Replacing halogen lightbulbs on vertiginously high kitchen ceiling, without male assistance. Had Heather closeby to dial 999 in case I fell from the ladder, mind.

Contesting by letter my latest parking ticket, because I had paid-and-displayed a ticket, but last week's gales blew it off the windscreen. I even avoided being snotty or haughty, and simply stated the facts.

Updating appalling CV, obtaining professorial-level referees (both most helpful).

Chasing up professional CV/careers advice.

Submitting a speculative job application.

Signing up for cheap calls, to reduce an appalling large transatlantic phone bill.


However, there are, regrettably, other jobs which I need my ass kicked about. Heather will doubtless help.

Still to do
Applying for JSA. Apparently as a single parent I'm not required to prove jobseeking behaviour or to sign on. I have to phone a different number, something to do with child tax credits. Jesus- I'm so out of practice at this, and my filing is a mess. Heather has packed me two carrier bags of unopened correspondance (one labelled 'Guilty', just to remind me).

Get that punctured tyre repaired (itself a shameful story), replace the broken wing mirror (another shameful story) and put the car in for its MOT, so I can tax it. Find my driving insurance certificate, probably somewhere in the bulging Guilty bag.

Today's ohrwurm (see also this ref), though I haven't heard it since the 80s, is the Waitresses' jaunty feminist anthem, 'No Guilt'- the bits about becoming self-sufficient. I'm really proud about those lightbulbs. I had to use a screwdriver and everything.
http://www.lyricsdownload.com/waitresses-no-guilt-lyrics.html

Needed new posters, so I bought them
I know the cost of stamps now
The thirty-first is when I pay the phone bill
I told them I didn't even know anybody in Toronto

Everyday at seven I've been watching Walter
I've been reading more and looking up the hard words
I met people who can get me on the guest list
My parents said that they would help me pay for grad school...