ionetics

Unreliable and possibly off-topic

|

Tuesday, December 09, 2008

Take back the sitting room!

In sympathy with the righteous Stansted airport protesters and the Greek uprising against police violence, I've decided to occupy my own sitting room in a display of non-violent protest.

I'd barely realised it, but over the past 2 years my sitting room has been effectively squatted by the Big Wan and associated Fraggles, such that psychologically it no longer feels mine, even when they're absent. Gradually, I've retreated to a bedsitland-like existence between my bedroom and the wretched kitchen. It was a gradual retreat, partially promoted because the computer's in my bedroom and because I rarely watch TV. But when the wee wan's here, my bedroom is hers too so I truly have no private space. Christ knows what Social Services would make of a 12 yr old girl who sleeps with her mother. Presumably it'd be a case for the paedo police, who would learn I have to throw a veritable hissy-fit to have my bed to myself.

This has to stop. Both the weans have their own bedrooms, and if the Big Wan's is an uninhabitable tip that's up to him to fix. If the wee wan finds her bedroom lonely, let her get used to it. Surely one of the few privileges of paying the mortgage and bills should be to access the space!