ionetics

Unreliable and possibly off-topic

|

Sunday, November 30, 2008

Ballox


A flying trip today to the Borders to check in on the Ballox, who's having a second wind of health and functional status after a 5 day admission for palliative care at the Kelso Hospital. The hospital/hospice augmented his oral Good Stuff (oxycodone and morphine) with fentanyl patches and ondasteron, then released him home as he wished. The fantastic care Ballox has received in Kelso means he now trusts them, and allows district nurses in to check on him. He even accedes that when the next downturn comes, he'll accept in-patient care back at Kelso Hospital.

He was more mobile and cheerful than I've seen him for 6 weeks, and made my day by moving himself to the sit on top of the storage heater in order to "get the ballocks warmed up". He disnae know his nickname, you see. He worried that it would be too hot in his flat for me, so invited me to strip off naked if that would be more comfortable, since "he was no longer in a position to take advantage". God love him- I will remember and cherish this visit forever.


The other pleasures I received today were chocolate-box sugar-frosted landscapes on the drive down and back. It remained below freezing all day, so I was treated to views of every tree and hedge rimed with glistening ice, outlining and solidifying every fractal edge. Sumptuous.