ionetics

Unreliable and possibly off-topic

|

Monday, May 01, 2006

May day

As if one could ignore it, from the profusion of bloom on tree-flowering species. The magnolias were mere precursors to the cherries, plum, lindens, maples, larches, birches, apples, pears and blackthorn trees of my acquaintance, esp in the Braidburn/Hermitage park. Green-fingered Heather took me to the garden centre to obtain a growbag in which to plant the tomato plants she's kindly given me. I added in a couple of sweet peas, for their scent. I have a feeling they won't do well indoors, and it may be the same for the Hosta whose blue quilted foliage was also irresistible. All of these plants are at the mercy of her Catness, who's already had a go at the tomatoes and sweet peas. She looks at me blankly when I shout and throw small objects to dissuade her, then calmly continues her vandalism.

My sister made a special trip today from Glasgow just to check in with me and kiddos on her public May Day holiday. Thanks H.- it was much appreciated, and I really enjoyed this visit from my only and favourite sister. My turn next to visit you, once the Kelvingrove Museum is reopened in July 2006. I'd heard the west had high temperatures last weekend, and H. was looking healthy, toned and tanned from her swimming, her week in Napoli & Pompeii and/or her day reading the Sunday papers in Kelvingrove Park.

Opted out of community May Day activities this year for no good reason but laziness, but my mind was on the immigrant demonstrations across the US. CNN were reporting 300,000 in Chicago this morning. In San Diego, it was reported that McDonalds were shut down for lack of labour, a localised riot occurred in Vista and some ugly anti-illegal comments were heard in the bars. It's the economy, stupid.