ionetics

Unreliable and possibly off-topic

|

Friday, March 24, 2006

Pub life

It's been at least 6 months since I entered a local pub, but found myself stranded at the Foot o' the Walk today for 2.5 hours while my daughter attended a swimming party under the auspices of a single dad. Which was fine.

I'm ducking off to avoid a mum whose daughter is second-best friend to mine. Ironically, I try to avoid the mum (because she is a heavy drinker) by taking refuge in the pub, while I fill out my housing benefit form. I love the Central Bar's stained glass, and found myself a safe female-occupied table, but the smoke fug was unbearable even though I smoke fags. I had to move on to a less smoky bar just to get air.

There I engaged in conversation two blokes whom I thought gay, but who gave me second thoughts later that they were still not 'out'. They have holidays in Orlando and New Orleans. I thought we had an interesting conversation covering topical politics and history (Big Pharma, Falklands, 9/11, Gulf War 1, Disney, Regan and McCarthy hearings), but clearly they thought me quite mad. I apologised for boring them when I left to collect my wee one from her party.