ionetics

Unreliable and possibly off-topic

|

Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Settlement of affairs

Becoming dole-scum has several beneficial epiphenomena, inc. getting on top of paperwork.

Dole-scum chores today have included making serial calls to the local council, child benefit, DWP, building society and Inland Revenue. I could bore for Scotland on how I've been pushed, passed and fucked around, and fannied about by multiple benefit agencies- but would good would that do?

Best fun I had today during my new f/t applicant job was this Inland Revenue call operator. She who fired off questions in Weegie at a repeater rifle rate that would've flummoxed any other respondant. She wanted info from my last 2 years' P60's and last years's P45, but she never said that. All I got was staccatto requests for my total earnings in 2004, or my earnings to date in this tax year. No help offered that this would be found on the available documents (P60s, P45) which luckily I had to hand. Our dialogue became increasingly fractured and discordant until I called alpha dog, and asked her whether we should make the interview hard or easy, and that either was OK for me. It got easier after that.