ionetics

Unreliable and possibly off-topic

|

Friday, October 28, 2005

MIA


'The Fall' and Mark E Smith reminscences on BBC4, to which sau alerted me, have been great. But missing from the recent John Peel retrospectives on R4/BBC4 so far has been his appreciation of Richard and Linda Thompson, or June Tabor. Down Where the Drunkards Roll is a well-loved example, along with other modern folksongs on that album, including I Want to See the Bright Lights Tonight and Poor Little Beggar Girl. But be that as it may.

I've had good news today- arrangements to bring my dear one's cat over the ocean are progressing apace. Cero's been microchipped, rabies and distemper innoculated. This cat, who has very mixed feelings towards me, has been the biggest obstacle yet encountered to my dear one's emigration. You may not know, for example, that a cat is much harder to emigrate than a daughter. Let me tell you...

Cero is an American Bobtail (warning- this link plays cheesy music), and they have a rather odd disposition, being more canine than feline, and prone to single-person attachments. Cero has a crooked stunted tail, and has not been partial to sharing his dear dad with me. He's a total pussy with his dad, using his paws with sheathed claws to hug him when he's scooped up. Meanwhile from me this cat will not even accept a pat, because that might represent an act of dominance. I get flattened ears and skulking. He's latterly converted his sulking behaviour to more active forms, by making and occupying a space at the head between me and his dad in bed. Hey- I'm patient, and I happen to like Cero's attitude. But dear one's delightful arty daughter has been a pushover compared to that cat.