ionetics

Unreliable and possibly off-topic

|

Saturday, August 02, 2008

The weekend!

What joy to receive back my kiddiwinks yesterday! Hard to believe how much I missed them while they were away in the back of beyond (Altandhu, near Achiltibuie) with their dad. He had the precognition to book the week with glorious weather, in contrast to my wet week in Yorkshire.

The Big Wan is back to his normal good humour, aided perhaps by the addition of pints of cider from the Furan Bar in Altandhu, bought for him by students working at the Smokehouse. Maybe I should try this technique next time he kicks off. In the meantime, it is so good to have my Big Wan restored to me! The exam results are to be issued on Tuesday, and I suspect I'm more nervous than he. The black dye is leaching out of his hair, revealing again the ash-blonde locks I love so well.

And the wee wan is just as sweet and juicy as ever, and brought us back two more haggis toys, Hagforth and Hagnes, to join the original Haggie. She moves up to High School this month, so it's all change. How can they have gotten so big and grown up? How will I cope when they leave home?

Lots of jobbiness in the last week...zzzz. Yes, I'm to assume my colleague's managerial roles when her maternity leave starts next month. Yes, I'm to train and supervise two new inexperienced part-time staff. No, there will be no acting-up pay. Will I fail? Yes! Stick, stick, stick, and no carrot.

But the mood's up, the weather's intermittently good, the dear mum's back from her hols and the Hari Krishnas gong-bashing along Princes St. were a lovely sight!