ionetics

Unreliable and possibly off-topic

|

Saturday, April 21, 2007

Consumerism

The local Tesco Metro has installed self-paying outlets at two of the five checkouts, where one scans and pays electronically for goods. I was right up there learning from the American consultant the first day they were installed. A labour-saving device I thought, disregarding some unsettling reservations about loss of jobs for staff. It's all about a customer's convenience. Luckily for the minimum-waged staff, the self-scan technology cries for human help incredibly regularly, and I've seen the human-manned tills outperform the customer-scans on countless occasions now.

Lately I have learned that self-scanning is a waste of time, for four important food groups (alcohol, tobacco, batteries and razors) require human verification. I've learned my lesson and now just wait in the queue for the regular tills. Plus I'm supporting the workers, even if they don't recognise it.

At the Ocean Terminal Shopping Mall today, there were coin-operated hair straighteners in the ladies toilets. I guess that for some young women, ozone and water-logged hair can lead to unacceptable frizz. I was spending up my School Clothing vouchers before the vultures scavenge them back.