ionetics

Unreliable and possibly off-topic

|

Saturday, November 19, 2005

Oh happy day

Blogposts must represent some kind of hotline to God. My prayer for a hand-blender (for making soups and sauces) was answered from an unexpected source yesterday. I'm now the proud owner of one such, offered as surplus to requirement by kids' granny. The Hallowe'en soup last night (a big orange sweet potato in there too) is even tastier blended.

A word of caution, though- use with great care on some sauces. After whisking up an aiolli (garlic mayo) by hand- about twenty minutes of wrist-numbing effort- my beautiful golden emulsion split instantly into curdled yolk and oil when given a whizz by the hand-blender.

Addendum:
Careful readers may note in Comments the evidence that my laptop's keyboard is losing it's 'f' key, probably due to overuse. The slash key has also loosed itself from its moorings. Designed obsolescence again? I think so.