ionetics

Unreliable and possibly off-topic

|

Sunday, April 24, 2005

The latest flame

This has to be pretty sad, but the latest music I've bought are CD re-releases of early Fall albums. Really should make an effort to keep up with da contemporary yoof, but remain more interested in my own. Plus my kids' dad (may he be happy) got all the LPs and CDs from our 20-year relationship except the crap, admittedly in exchange for useful pieces of furniture. Since he also got the record deck (a 1960s vintage, heirloom valve-driven system from my folks), there wasn't much point in holding out for these. I got all the sad scratched LPs neither of us wanted, like Bowie, which can be obtained for free (buyer-collects basis) to any who'd appreciate these- need the storage space.

Anyway, back to the Fall, whose performance next weekend at the Liquid Rooms is much anticipated. Hope it'll be as good as the last one in 2004 at the Venue, when Mark E and colleagues cranked it out. The highlight of that gig for me was a mad, older,slightly pot-bellied moutachioed man going nuts singing soul-crazy on 'Big New Prinz'.

Researching back, the first Fall gig I saw was circa 1980 at the NiteClub (above the old Edinburgh Playhouse), hosted by the late John Peel. I can't find this gig listed but except to guess by the setlist and personal timing that it was prolly this 1980 gig. Though JP has deservedly become a modern-day icon, he was for a fact grooming my 14-yr old pal D at that time, and she wasn't the only one. That's been lost in the deification process. Have a faded memory of Mark E performing Rowche Rumble and stuff from 'Witch Trials', 'Totale's Turns' and 'Dragnet'.

I visited the local independent record shop today with the kids to replenish on CD some of my lost yoof, and the (relatively) very young counterworker told me that this 6-CD set of Fall John Peel sessions (1978-2004) is on release from Monday. He had his own pre-relaease copy, but declined to sell this to me today. If anyone wants to buy me an early birthday present, this is what I really, really want. Hint hint.

Never met Mark E, nor do I particularly wish to- just want him to keep on keeping on.

Photo from /www.klopkazapionira.com


Composite lyrics from several version of my early favourite- 'Mess of My'

And note of your own choice, boys and girls

Inadequate planters, methadone stubbies
You got energy vampires
More hands on the tranquillisers

An unholy alliance
And jokes about faith
Give me another drink
You're as strong as your weakest link

A mess of my age
A mess of my race
A mess of our radio

I remember the times
This was a beginning
Of a permissive new age
But it's the same old cabbage

A mess of my age
A mess of our race
A mess of our our our our

[megaphone bit]
I DREAM ABOUT TAKING SOME TERRORISTS
OUT FOR A QUIET DRINK
YOU KNOW, AND GETTING THEM TO STICK A BOMB UP THE TV MAST ARSE
THE HEDONISTS FLAGSHOW BULLSHIT ARSE
YOU KNOW DREAMS
YOU KNOW, WHERE THE ONLY SOLUTION IS RETRIBUTION

I don't look at myself
I have no health
Take no notice of me
I probably work for a record company

A mess of our age
A mess of my taste
A mess of our nervous systems

Cowering mockers
The company money's ran out
To longer hot properties
Get back in their closets

A mess of my age
A mess of my race
Fill the rest in yourself