ionetics

Unreliable and possibly off-topic

|

Saturday, June 11, 2005

Culture jams

After a late night at the Bongo Club, a perfect early morning activity is to record for posterity some recent favourite graffiti and landmarks. There's full daylight at this latitude at 4.45 am, currently.

First, for Sau, Shelley's plaque at 60a George St. Here's the 'before' pic of this sadly neglected memorial to Red Shelley and his first wife, Harriet:


And here's the 'after' pic, following a good quarter hour of elbow grease and a half bottle of Brasso. Note the reflection now showing up, and that the lettering has become black. A passerby asked me not to wiggle my bum at that time in the morning, while I was polishing (smiley), but I was putting my back into the task:



And some of my favourite recent graffiti.

On Brighton St, near the Medical School:


Outside Word Power bookshop, West Nicholson St:


Also on West Nicholson St:


Mystery and zoology in one graffito panel on West Crosscausewayside. Is the red critter a chipmunk, squirrel or skunk?:


'Make Capitalism History', in close-up and a wider shot, stencilled on both pillars of Bank of Scotland at Holy Corner: