ionetics

Unreliable and possibly off-topic

|

Sunday, March 20, 2005

Sunday notes

Much to my surprise, the war is still on this morning despite the good efforts of those who turned up in Glasgow and London to protest it yesterday. Good show, everyone. Some Glasgow photos have been posted here , and London photos on indymedia.org.uk.

DoDo (precocious son, not the blogger) had 'organised' months ago an Edinburgh STW demo for yesterday. Though at his dad's this weekend, DoDo recruited me by phone to show up at the castle, which I did, but saw no protest action among the milling crowds of tartan-clad Murrcan tourists. I learned later that 'the march' consisted of 6 people, 3 of whom were DoDo, his mate and his mate's dad. I do not know if a dog was there, but he might've been the sixth marcher. The doughty six were accompanied by police officers on a leisurely walk down the Royal Mile, hung out for 5 mins outside the Scottish Parliament building, then fvcked off so the cops could watch the rugby.

-----------------------

Today all day my left hand has had a minor 'tic'. Occasionally I get a short-lived spasmodic tic of they eye, but never in the hand before. Every 3-4 secs (approx) my hand involuntarily makes a barely-noticeable pincer-type flexion with the thumb and forefinger, then relaxes again. Moving the hand in other ways stops or masks the spasm, but at rest it starts up again. I feel a backgound sensation of pressure building up in my brain before each twitch, but when it comes it's involuntary like a sneeze. It is not unpleasant, actually.

-----------------------

Top Tip- New crockery allows the surprisingly exciting, guilty pleasure of throwing out the old, unhygienic chipped plates without washing them. Do try it at home.

NB- good recyclers should wash the crocks, smash them with the intention of re-use in potting houseplants, then cart the plastic bag of potsherds everytime you move flat for the next 15 years. I have done this is the past, but no more ms nice guy.

------------------------

Elaine from Word Power ordered me in Thierry Meissen's 'Pentagate'. It took an age to arrive, but slightly disappoints as not the best edited explication of 9/11 Pentagon crash anomolies, which is what I was hoping for. It tends to ramble and also to assume prior acquaintance with his Big Lie. Of what I've read on 9/11 (and I claim neither expertise nor any scoop on this issue), Griffin's New Pearl Harbour formed the best summary of 9/11 anamolies read, along with Nafeez Mossadeq Ahmed's work. NMA has a new book coming out, according to warszawa. Sau is currently reading Griffin's later book on the 9/11 enquiry, so a review of this will be awaited in 2007 :-).

By coincidence, 9/11 came up that evening over the dinner table at dad's house. He'd heard a Radio 4 program that dismissed the photo evidence of the Pentagon crash, stating that the photos of too-small impact holes were of the exit, and not the entrance. The phrase 'conspiracy theory' was used, perhaps unsurprisingly, and as with my others, anything but the official version is dismissed. Dad's interrogation, like those of most decent challengers, focused on requiring an alternative account with full cast, script, attributions of intent and motives. If the Pentagon strike was a missile, he asked, what were the who, why, when, where and what of the story? And of course this I can't supply- but anomolies and discontinuities do mount up.

------------------------

Browsing through Existencil 's library of local graffiti, I realise to my pleasure that the Star Wars trooper of Appleton Tower I mentioned (ibid) is recorded there.

The Star Wars stormtrooper on the ugly Appleton Tower stucco:

Also some Edinburgh anti-war stencils:


Free Ulla (Trident protestor)


And this delicious gastropod, who popped up as one of a series on local bins. I really love this guy.


----------------------------------

Some more images I liked recently.

Check out Dennis Kunkel's aesthetic microscopy, reminiscent of Haeckel's work:




Movies of cell division- the last is the best
Cell movies

And finally...
Caption competition for this little gem.
My contribution- "I just wanna make the kiddies happy, guv"