We're getting there. The finger is much better, if (inevitably) sloughing. A certain kiddo self-reports no smoking of reeking burning vegetable matter for 2 weeks. Both kiddos did a sponsored swim in aid of kidney patients last weekend, and raised £50 between them. Big Wan did three lengths before copping out, the wee wan sixteen.
Unfortunately for her, she was communistically sponsored by family members on the basis of merely turning up, and not magnitude of achievement. That's the problem with communism, I'm told. Tomorrow Big Wan starts a month of exams- an unnecessary cruelty at 15 yrs- but he has shown evidence of study and hopefully can do the necessary. He's not short on smarts but sometimes lacks application in the skill of jumping hoops.
I gave a not-lecture yesterday at a local 'new university', recently moved to a new campus: an exercise of many benefits.
1. Forced to update knowledge on recent publications in my field
2. Required to take bus, thereby meeting my wonderfully eccentric ex-aunt
3. Enjoyed the inside-out feel of the architecture at the new campus
4. No students turned up for my lecture
5. I will still be paid
6. Was courteously asked not to smoke in the square afterwards, making me feel young again